"On the spot where the Basilica of San Francisco el Grande stands today, St Francis of Assisi erected a small hut after he arrived in Madrid in 1217. This humble dwelling became a small monastery and refuge for the poor. In the fourteenth century, it was replaced by a larger one which was remodeled and enlarged in 1617. During the 17th century, it was one of Madrid’s most popular churches. It contained many fabulous tombs, including that of the wife of King Henry IV. Finally, in 1760, the older buildings were razed, in order to make way for a more magnificent structure. The one that stands today."